Wednesday, 30 September 2009

Julie & Julia & me

Last night I went to the cinema to see a film called Julie & Julia – a film I enjoyed heartily and which has inspired me to start my own food blog, even though I know this is hardly an original idea. I have tried what I call ‘proper’ blogging before, but my book blog remains neglected, left in a corner, and looking as dusty as some of the antique tomes on my bookshelf.

However, Julie Powell’s blogging has really inspired me to take up the blogging baton and give it another go, this time with an entirely different subject and an entirely different purpose (I think). Like Julie I am a government (local authority) employee who has always wanted to be a writer. Like Julie I have a passion for cooking and for food and am approaching 30 (ok, I’m 26, but it feels like I am approaching 30 at a terrifying speed). Unlike Julie I am not going to try and cook over 500 recipes in a year, and I have never cooked anything by Julia Child.

Let me clarify now that I am an amateur cook. A very amateur cook. You will be unlikely to find me killing a lobster or boning a duck. I began cooking in earnest after I moved into my boyfriend’s flat a little over a year ago; however, it’s only been the last 6 months or so that my passion has really been ignited. For most of my life I was convinced I was a terrible cook and that I hated cooking and thus I very rarely did. Living with someone who appreciates good food has given me the desire and the motivation to attempt to create my own culinary masterpieces – isn’t it amazing how love can completely change your attitude to things?! It’s a cliché that the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, but in my fiancé’s case this is very, very true!

I do what I call ‘proper’ cooking somewhere between 2 and 4 times a week. I work full-time and unlike Julie Powell do not have the energy to cook meals from scratch every night. Tonight, for example, we had sausages and oven chips and beans. It was very tasty. We even have the occasional ready meal, even though in theory I think they are slightly wrong and evil, but this is one of the topics I plan to blog about at some point , so I’ll save that discussion for later. I work closer to home than my fiancé and usually fewer hours, so am I always home well before he is, so I do usually manage to have dinner on the table for when he gets home. My inner-feminist is appalled.

I enjoy cooking a wide range of dishes, but there are culinary borders I haven’t even come close to crossing yet. I tend to focus on cooking main meals because these are the most important foodstuffs in my house. I don’t think I have ever cooked a dessert and baking has been totally out of the question. I’m hoping this blog will encourage me to become a little more adventurous and you, dear readers, will get to accompany me on my first forays into unchartered puff pastries!

Part of me wants to write more and simply to splurge onto the page all my thoughts and feelings about food, all my experiences growing up with food and all my future plans and desires. But I realise this would be very boring and also that I need to save some of these things in order to write about them in more depth in their own single entry.

So, I look forward to sharing this blogging adventure with you. I am off now to catch up with Masterchef on BBC iPlayer and ponder on how I will never have any Michelin stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment