Monday, 26 October 2009

My week of not really cooking THAT dangerously



My first week of trying to cook more home-cooked food has gone pretty well. Here are some brief descriptions of what I cooked.

Monday
Chilli Con Carne. A classic and a favourite in my house. I've tried a few different recipes, but I like this one best. It's clearly aimed at people with little cooking experience (which could be a good thing), but it's a tasty, almost fool-proof recipe (I once cooked it with fresh chillies instead of chilli powder and put too many in…oops) and we often have left-overs so it provided me with lunch the next day too. Bonus.

Tuesday
Roast duck legs with sweet potato mash. Good old BBC Good Food website – I'd bought some duck legs as they have been half-price in Sainsbury's for the past week or so and I had some sweet potatoes in the cupboard. It seemed a good idea to put the two together, so I had a quick look on the Good Food website and found this recipe. This was delicious and pretty simple to make. I'm making it again this week, but with mini-roast potatoes instead of sweet potato mash. Yum!

Wednesday
Sausage and mash. My night off.

Thursday
Balsamic-glazed swordfish. I had bought the swordfish after browsing the fish counter and being enticed to try something new and then found the recipe in a cookbook that I own. It was interesting and quite nice but I found the marinade (containing olive oil, harissa, balsamic vinegar and olive paste) a bit strong for my liking and it was an expensive meal (it was served with roasted asparagus), but not wonderful enough to justify the expense. Still, I've now cooked and eaten swordfish which is something I'd never done before!

Friday
Chicken Chow Mein. This is a fairly quick and simple recipe, but an extremely tasty one – perfect for cooking on a Friday night! I have made this a few times before so it was a relief to make something tried and tested after the experiments during the week! It's from my Chinese Made Easy cookbook, but it is also available online.

Saturday
To my shame, we had Chinese Takeaway. I kept away from the chow mein though because I knew it wouldn't be as nice as the one that I cooked.

Sunday
Morrocan-spiced roast rack of lamb (see picture above). Another expensive meal, but tasty. I'd never cooked or eaten a rack of lamb before, so it was interesting. I did it slightly wrong though because I asked the butcher to trim it for me, but he didn't trim the fat off the top, just round the bones and I wasn't sure if I was meant to leave the fat on or not, so I left it on. I realised after I cooked it that I should have removed this. This is another BBC Good Food recipe, which can be found here. The lamb was of course, lovely, but the cous cous was also delicious. I definitely want to try cooking a rack of lamb again, and make sure it is trimmed properly next time, but I think I'll have to wait until I'm feeling a bit richer!

2 comments:

  1. I so want to start chronicling my weekly eats...just for the fun of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it is fun. I may well do it again!

    ReplyDelete