Sunday, 11 October 2009

Sea bass with salmoriglio

On Thursday I attempted to make salmoriglio (I say attempted, as I don't feel I was entirely successful) from My Favourite Ingredients by Skye Gyngell. The recipe in this books suggests using fresh marjoram, which I couldn't find in the shops, so I had to make do with dried marjoram, which I don't believe gave the right flavour or look to the sauce (I didn't take a picture because I knew it didn't look right and would feel slightly ashamed displaying it here). I did enjoy turning the sliced garlic into a paste using a pestle and mortar, though. And it tasted ok, just not brilliant, but I don't really feel inspired to try this recipe again (although I may give the one I linked to a go).

I really liked the way the sea bass was cooked - brushed with olive oil, seasoned and grilled - and will definitely be cooking fish this way again; I haven't often grilled fish in the past.

I am not, on the whole, overly impressed with this cookbook, as not much leaps out at me as being something I'd like to attempt cooking (using pansies in a salad?! Is she serious? Apparently, she is!). I bought it because it was fairly cheap on The Book People website, but am beginning to think I may need to donate it to someone to make room for more books I will make more use of. That's the problem when you can't look through the book you are buying - you can't have a look to see if any of the recipes would be the kind of thing you'd enjoy cooking.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure we have all been there with the blender incident lol. Ditto the food disasters.

    ReplyDelete