Saturday, 28 November 2009

Earlsdon Butchers

Today we went to pick up our second fruit and veg box from Down to Earth on Earlsdon High Street (fabulous as ever - got courgette, brussel sprouts and swede this week amongst other things!) and decided to pop into Earlsdon Butchers having been enticed by the sign outside advertising venison from Charlecote Park.

We seem to have stumbled upon a real gem. Earlsdon High Street certainly seems to be the place to go in Coventry for local produce! As well as the very locally sourced venison steaks, I bought some chicken from award-winning Great Farm. These have been matured for longer than most farmed-chickens, so I'm hoping for fuller flavours once they're cooked! I would have loved to have bought more meat, but hadn't really got round to planning all our meals for this week yet and the venison was pretty expensive, as you'd expect, so thought I'd leave it at that for now. But I'll definitely be going again - I'm particularly keen to buy some beef and lamb which comes from Canal Farm just outside Nuneaton. I don't think you could get much more local meat without having your own farm.

I'll let you know how the venison turns out - I've never eaten venison before, let alone cooked it (I have eaten and cooked impala, but that's another story...). But I've found a recipe from one of my cookbooks and plan to serve it with the potatoes and brussel sprouts from this week's veg box!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't tried venison meat so I'm looking forward to reading how you prepared it.I came across your site from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide our readers to your site if you won't mind.Just add your choice of foodista widget to this post and it's all set, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't often have Venison as its a little "deer".

    ReplyDelete