Friday, 27 November 2009

Mince pies

Gosh, it's nearly the weekend again and I haven't even finished blogging about last weekend's exploits! Not only did I make my very first homemade bread, I made my very first mince pies, using my homemade mincemeat!





I used this recipe and it was pretty easy and they are, without a doubt, the best mince pies I have ever had. The pastry is so lovely and buttery. The only mistake I made was that I was a little too generous with the pastry in each pie, so it was a bit thick, and I wanted to taste more of the mincemeat. So, I will try and rectify this this weekend. Everyone who has tasted them so far want more, so I will have to get baking!

6 comments:

  1. What perfectly shaped pies! I've bookmarked the recipe because I want to make my own mince pies and I'm worried the pastry won't be crumbly and buttery enough. Last year, our local cake man made the best mince pies I've ever had, and it was mostly due to the pastry. I'll have a few goes early on I think, and if I don't meet Tom's standards then I'll rush out and buy a load.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe does make lovely buttery and crumbly pastry - I'd never even made pastry before and it was a doddle! Ian said it was the best pastry he'd ever tasted.

    We have a nice deep bun tin, which worked really well. No tiddly little mince pies for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely not! You need proper wells of mincemeat. :)

    I'll definitely be giving this pastry recipe a go. Thank you for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No problem. Let me know how you get on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love home made mince pies, fortunately my neighbour whom is quite elderly produces them in abundance. I knew there was a good reason why I cut her lawns in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet she's really grateful to have her lawn mown and I bet you're really grateful for the mince pies! What a perfect arrangement!

    ReplyDelete