Wednesday, 23 December 2009

Chocolate Brownie Cake

Yesterday, I made my very first cake. Ok, I had made some banana and walnut muffins at school once and I used to help my mum make fairy cakes and rock cakes occasionally, but I'd never made one big cake on my own. So, I tried to find an easy recipe suitable for a beginner and I came across this recipe for a chocolate brownie cake, which I thought I might be able to handle.

Seeing as I'd never even lined a cake tin before, I found this video really useful. I was really worried about putting too much butter in when greasing the tin, and I think I might have done because the cake went a bit hard round the edges (or I possibly overcooked it a little because I was also really worried about it being underdone!).

It took forever to melt the chocolate, sugars, butter etc. together. I did what it said and did it on a really low heat - I think it took a little over 20 minutes in total to get it into a smooth paste. Still, once that was done and I'd mixed it with all the other ingredients, it began to look rather more cake-mixture-y.




I duly poured the cake mixture into my beautifully lined cake-tin, and 30 minutes later this was the result!

I'm not sure if it was supposed to rise more than this or if the cake tin I used was big, as it was flatter than I was expecting. However, it still tastes very good - just like chocolate brownie, in fact! - and it's very rich so you don't actually need very much (as I found out after cutting myself a huge slice, while it was still a bit warm, mmmmm).

Not too shabby for a first attempt! I really enjoyed the whole process of cake-making too. I think it's the very concept of taking lots of raw ingredients, mixing them all together and then the finished product looking completely different to what you started with, which makes baking interesting and exciting to me. It makes me feel a bit like an alchemist.

Chocolate Brownie Cake on Foodista

7 comments:

  1. It's an excellent first attempt. The cake tin might be a bit big, but what the heck. You did it and you made something delicious.... suppose you'd better keep going.... make more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Wendy! Yes, I will definitely be making more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah! *adds to recipe list* I woke up this morning imagining a year of healthy eating ahead, but how quickly my good intentions have faded away. That looks divine.

    Hope you had a lovely Christmas.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, what a great cake to start with - it looks delicious. Brownies aren't meant to rise much anyway, it's all about being rich, lush and delicious and looks like you achieved that. Sympathise about the kitchen, mine sounds slightly larger than yours, but not by very much and I would sooo like a kitchen with lots of storage space and room for a table - but hey, I still manage to make cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Choclette! I have purchased a slightly smaller cake tin now, so next time I make it it should be a bit thicker.

    Sometimes it's irritating having such a small kitchen, but at the same time, you get used to things and work with what you've got!

    And thanks, Suzler, I did have a lovely Christmas - I hope you did too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Charlene! I found this blog in Foodista and followed it here. This is a lovely blog and awesome Chocolate Brownie Cake recipe. Congrats on your first attempt too. By the way you can place more Foodista widget in your past and future blogs so that other Foodista readers can follow and see your blog too. Just search for a related recipe or food in Foodista and use its widget. I hope to read more from you. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI,

    I love this recipe (the brownies are gorgeous) and found it via your blog. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete