Sunday, 14 February 2010

Sharon Fruit

Every once in a while something turns up in my fruit and veg box and I haven't got a clue what it is. This happened the first time we got some kale. This week I was utterly stumped by the Sharon Fruit (or Persimmon).

 
I mean, if you've never seen one before this looks a bit weird, right? Like a large berry. My fiancé's mum kindly informed us what it was and how to eat it. So, today I tried it.
I didn't dislike the sharon fruit, but I wasn't exactly bowled over by it. I think there is some kind of primal instinct in my brain saying, "Warning! This fruit is not in my database! Could be poisonous!", which is weird because I don't usually get that feeling when trying new foods - maybe it's because it's a fruit and looks quite berry-like. Who knows. Anyway, perhaps I could grow to love it!

7 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how good they are to eat straight. But they are very sweet when ripe, and so I used them in a cookie recipe. Do you have any more to use up? Any new ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I smiled at this post...The persimmon is a strange berry looking fruit. Very popular in many parts of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, unfortunately we only got one lonely little persimmon. I wanted to eat it straight to find out what it tasted like, but if I get any more in the future I may do something with them. The cookies look good!

    Velva, glad I made somebody smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I discovered persimmon only this year. Here, they are a autumn fruit, popular it seems in Asian groceries. When they are ripe, they yield ever so slightly to light pressure. You can eat them when they are rock hard, but the sweetness hasn't developed. I find them singularly delightful. When ripe, they are juicy and flowery - it's berry meets flower. I've never tasted another fruit like it, actually. I like to peel it because that skin is thick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have to eat these when they are ripe. Otherwise its probably sharper and tarter than a lemon. Catch a ripe one and they are delicious. In Italy they eat them skin and all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It wasn't sharp at all so it must have been pretty ripe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are two native species of persimmon that grow around here, the American persimmon and the more common Texas persimmon (the American persimmon likes wetter climates, so here you only find it growing by rivers and creeks, but it has bigger and better fruit). The domesticated species is the Japanese persimmon.

    Since my boyfriend and I are both weirdoes who eat stuff we find out in the woods, ironically we have never had the domesticated Japanese persimmon, and just munch on the little wild persimmons when they're ripe. I'd love to try the "proper" persimmon some time but they're very expensive at the store here.

    My CSA once surprised me by containing a fresh fig. I had only had dried figs before, so I didn't recognise it at first and thought it was some kind of undersized pear, until I bit into it of course. It was delicious. Unfortunately it was the only one I ever got. My boyfriend's parents also grow figs, but they rarely get any either because the squirrels always get them first.

    ReplyDelete