Tuesday, 2 March 2010

My first seeds

I've been meaning to plant some of my seeds in my propagator for the last couple of weeks now, but things have been a bit hectic and I hadn't got round to it yet. Today has been a bit of an unusual day because this morning I was in court as a witness - I had to take the whole day off work because you don't know when you are going to get called into the courtroom and how long you will be there. I was fortunate in that I got called in about an hour after proceedings started and was only questioned for about 5 minutes. This has meant that I've been free to do with the rest of the day as I wish.

So, despite being surprisingly tired considering how short a time I was in court, I decided to take the opportunity to do my first ever bit of planting. So far I have planted basil, tomatoes and lettuce leaves. I already have the makings of a lovely salad!

Obviously, there's not a lot to see at the moment other than compost, but I'm hoping that soon I will have more to show you! I have moved the propagator from the sunny spot above to somewhere that I'm hoping will have a more even temperature (I was a bit concerned that by the sliding doors might get too hot during the day and too cold at night). I am excited at the prospect of growing my own produce: isn't it amazing that from nondescript little seeds you can grow something so fundamentally important as food? Here's hoping, anyway!

9 comments:

  1. Great fun, you will love it. Its not at all time consuming, and very rewarding. We grow loads of things just in the back garden amongst other plants "disguised".

    So No broad beans? Peas?

    I get all my seeds from "seeds of italy" they supply Jamie Oliver! and James Martin No less!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a limit to what we can grow because we will be growing outdoors on our balcony and we need to be careful not to overload it! I will certainly want to try broad beans at some point though! We're also going to be growing carrots, radishes, rocket, coriander and parsley, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is very fancy! I just use yoghurt pots on a tray and wrap them in clingfilm!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, it it works! I am only using a bought propagator because a work friend bought it for me as a present to help get me started!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look forward to seeing how your seeds progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous! Herbs and lettuce are great for a small space and for containers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah you've given me a kick up the backside. I should get started to with my seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, all. Good luck with your seeds, mangocheeks.

    ReplyDelete