Monday, 29 March 2010

Pork Steaks with Fruity Red Cabbage

Photobucket


This week in our fruit and veg box, we also received half a red cabbage. I like red cabbage but I had never cooked with it before and initially wasn't quite sure what to do with it. My fiancé insists that he doesn't like cabbage of any kind, but I was damned if I was going to eat half a red cabbage by myself!

Some nosing around the internet found me this recipe for Pork Chops with Fruity Red Cabbage. I thought this would be perfect because the apple and cranberry sauce might just make the cabbage palateable enough for my fussy fiancé. Also, I very rarely cook with pork and am interested in learning how to!

We bought outdoor-reared pork loin steaks rather than chops (I'm not entirely sure what the difference is, although the steaks seemed thinner than chops and tastier too), but I didn't see why this recipe wouldn't work just as well with those. On the whole, this is a fairly simple recipe, but I did have an issue with timings, as I got the cabbage on too soon, and being nervous about undercooking the pork, I inevitably ended up overcooking it. I kept the cabbage warm by leaving the lid on to keep some heat in.

One of the things that really surprised me was that the cabbage smelled lovely when I was stir-frying it; I am so used to the pungent smell of boiling cabbage, that this came as a shock to me! 

The pork steaks ended up a little dry thanks to my over-zealous cooking, but were still very tasty, and the potato wedges having been cooked in the same roasting tin as the pork were heavenly. The cabbage tasted as nice as it smelled while cooking: the sweetness of the apple and the cranberry against the slight bitterness of the cabbage was really good. And, yes, my fiancé did eat it and said it wasn't too bad, but he's not too keen on me cooking it for him again (at least not with the cabbage included)! Apparently it still tasted too much of cabbage for him! A shame, because this was a really delicious dish.

3 comments:

  1. Looks delicious to me! I'm sure you will find another way to sneak the cabbage into your fiance's dinner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cabbage and this looks great. I also like the new look on the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, both! Glad you like the new look blog, Jen!

    ReplyDelete