Sunday, 30 May 2010

Carrot cake

Yesterday we were visiting a friend's house in the evening for another friend's birthday. Kerry was planning on providing a buffet of hot meals, so I offered to bring some pudding. I got quite a few carrots in my fruit and veg box this week, so decided that naturally I had to make a carrot cake. I've not made many cakes before, so I was interested to see how it would turn out.

I used a recipe from Louise of Comida Y Vida, which you can find here. I had already tried Louise's carrot cake at the Midlands Food Bloggers meet-up, so I was looking forward to recreating it at home!

I didn't make the topping because it has cheese in it and I thought I'd be kind to my fiancé and make it edible for him, so I just dusted the top with icing sugar. Louise has since told me that she's made a topping using icing sugar and orange juice before and that works quite well, so I might have to give that a go in the future. I also used rapeseed oil rather than sunflower or vegetable oil, and that seemed to work pretty well.

This was before I dusted it - I managed to forget to get a picture of it after it was finished. Anyway, it was lovely - beautifully moist, sweet and very more-ish. Almost as good as Louise's! Everyone at the gathering appreciated it, the birthday boy, Febs, especially as he got to take the leftovers home.

I do love baking cakes. CAKE! Nom nom nom.

(NB: My cakes always come out slightly funny shapes because I am rubbish at lining cake tins.)

5 comments:

  1. Life's too short to faff about lining cake tins to perfection, your cake looks great and as it seems to have tasted great, that is what it's all about :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had a go at baking it, tho I warn you it can become addictive. I think that's because I convince myself it's a cake that is good for you ... well it must be one of the required 5-a-day right!? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents are coming to visit this weekend and have seen this blog post and are now demanding I make them one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cake looks good. I always use silicone moulds for baking as I don't have to faff around with lining them and they generally work pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never knew you could get silicone moulds. I must investigate this!

    ReplyDelete