Saturday, 29 May 2010

Potatoes: A lesson


Another gem from the QI Fact of the Day:

When the potato first reached England, a potato-tasting banquet was given at the court of Queen Elizabeth I. Only the leaves and stems of the potatoes (which contain a poison called solanine) were served. All the guests became ill and left early.

 The picture above is of the potatoes I am growing on my balcony, leaves bursting out of the growbag. As beautiful and abundant as the leaves are, we will not be eating them!

5 comments:

  1. love the fact of the day! I've not grown potatoes so wil be interested to hear how these turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will let you know! They probably won't be very big potatoes as we've planted a few plants in quite a small space, but small potatoes can be nice, so it will be interesting to see how they turn out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am kind of nerdy... Love trivia like this keep us posted on how the potatoes turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, and I saw the pic from far away and thought it was a basil plant! I even kill my basil plant most of the times, I would never dream of attempting to grow potatoes... Good luck!

    ReplyDelete