Sunday, 20 June 2010

The Ministry of Food

Last weekend, my fiancé and I visited London, and one of the things we did was go to the Imperial War Museum - specifically to the Ministry of Food exhibition. I already have the book, but wanted to see the exhibition for myself. One of the things I loved was the film reel of short 'food flashes' from the Ministry of Food - you can see some of them here on the website. They had some great displays and it was a fascinating insight into what it was like on the homefront during the war.

Here are some pictures I took at the exhibition.

 I love how the propaganda that was used focussed on winning the war through not wasting food! 

 An example of a war-time shop.

Another fine example of some propaganda. Who needs lipstick when you have cabbage?!

We could follow a few of these hints and tips today!

Imagine trying to do all your cooking on this!

An old recipe book and a thermos and gas mask - very useful for air raids.

The exhibition runs until 3rd January 2011. On certain days they also do cookery demonstrations. Please go here for more details.

4 comments:

  1. I've got to say that I'm not that interested in actually cooking food- I usually just do the eating and am satisfied by that. So I like the fact that your blog isn't just "this is some food I cooked. This is how I cooked it." It's posts like these that keep me interested, make me enjoy following your blog and set you apart from other food bloggers. Thanks, and keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks! Glad you like the blog - I always intended it to be a collection of random food related things because I am interested in all sorts of things to do with food! I love your astronomy blog too for making astronomy accessible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I hope so; feel free to ask any questions you come up with... got a lot of biggies in the pipeline that I don't have time to work on at the moment, so a few smaller questions would be nice...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one Charlene, I didn't know about this exhibition, I'll definitely look it up...

    ReplyDelete