Sunday, 26 September 2010

Sweets!

Ok, I have a confession to make. I am 27 years old and I love sweets. I always have, probably always will. I'm something of a sugar addict.

I know that most sweets are filled with enough E-numbers to send even the dourest child into a hyper-manic frenzy and enough sugar to cause a diabetic coma; but love them I do, and they are one of my biggest weaknesses when it comes to food.

It probably all started when we sometimes used to stop at the Corner Shop on the way home from school, and if I'd been good (which was, you know, ALWAYS), I'd be allowed to get 20p worth of penny sweets. Fizzy cola bottles were my favourite.

However, I think that most 'modern' sweets such as Haribo and those pick'n'mix you get from cinemas nowadays do not taste the same as the sweets I had when I was a kid; in fact, many of them leave quite a nasty, bitter aftertaste in the mouth.

Yesterday afternoon, as the weather was so glorious, we took a trip to Bourton-on-the-Water for an afternoon of English cream tea and Christmas Corner. There are also a couple of old fashioned sweet shops in Bourton, so naturally I bought some sweets.

Now, these sweets taste like the ones I used to have when I was a kid. My fiancé reckons it's all in my head and it's just because they come in jars. But what would he know? He doesn't even eat sweets! Also, they had flying saucers. FLYING SAUCERS!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm always tempted to buy those surprise bags of penny sweets at the newsagents. The girl in there is so disdainful, her head might explode.

    My favourites are the ones in your picture. What are they called? I heard jazzies, but I've always just said bobbly discs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard them called Jazzies, but at the shop we bought them from they were called Rainbow Drops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most sweets I can resist, but not chocolate... it is my main weakness.

    ReplyDelete