Sunday, 10 October 2010

Meatloaf

After I'd badgered Jen of In the Kitchen etc. for her recipe for meatloaf, I kind of had to go ahead and make it. I normally avoid any recipe which uses cup measures because it is just weird and wrong, but I sucked it up and dusted off my cup measures for this one. You can find Jen's recipe which I followed here.

Before:

And after:


My fiancé enjoyed this dish very much and is already nagging me to make it again. He likes it because it is essentially a giant burger. I have to admit I wasn't such a massive fan, which is neither the recipe nor Jen's fault, but probably me doing it wrong. For a start I used 50% pork and 50% beef, because I happened to have that, so I don't know if that affected the flavour. I was probably also a little haphazard with my measurements, and I found the meatloaf itself a little dry and a little bland, and the glaze was far too sweet for me. I blame the Americans and their incomprehensible measuring system.

Having said that, I enjoyed making this. And there is plenty left over which I plan to serve in baps for lunch. And my fiancé is happy. :)

5 comments:

  1. never been a huge meatloaf fan myself but I try and fit a layer of mushrooms into mine to help with the moisture... great blog x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny, for me I was so used to using cups (since we tend to also use that in Canada), but after using other recipes using weights, I find it really hard to go back to cups. I find Cup measuring is difficult to replicate perfectly....who knows if the recipe wanted packed or loose....etc. But I find I need to use cups on my blog since most North Americans need to use cups...oh well...
    Meatloaf can be great...or terrible...It's worth trying again I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny. As I typed out the recipe I reckoned you weren't going to like the measurements one bit. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, sorry. I seem to have a bee in my bonnet about measurements and what makes sense to me.

    As I said in my post, I did enjoy making it though and I am grateful for the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make the meatloaf with eggs and bacon inside. This one looks very juicy.

    ReplyDelete