Monday, 22 November 2010

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

I love winter. I really do. I love all the winter root vegetables, the stews, the hotpots, the snuggly warmth of a cup of hot chocolate, wrapped up, indoors, looking out at a frozen world, the excitement of Christmas just around the corner...

The cold I can just about deal with, but I have to admit that even I struggle sometimes with the short days. And this weekend just gone was a classic: heavy, ominous, dark grey clouds, not a glimmer nor a spark of sun or blue sky. There wasn't even any rain, just this constant threat hanging the air. We had to have the lights on to see all day both Saturday and Sunday.

And that's partly why Christmas is so exciting: we counteract the darkness with sparkling, glittering lights, glimmering tinsel, shiny giftwrap; and then we fill ourselves with warm, rich, exotic foods. We feast, we drink - we damn well make the best entertainment for ourselves that we can to ease the pain of the long, dark, cold winter.

So, I spent this dark and dreary November weekend comforting myself with fruits from sunnier climes and spices from exotic lands... and then soaking them in lots and lots of booze.

I made this mincemeat last year as well, and lots of people said my mince pies were the best they'd ever tasted! Recipe here.



My first attempt at Christmas Cake! It looks and smells good, so here's hoping it delivers on the day... Recipe here - thanks to Farmersgirl Kitchen for linking to it on her blog.

7 comments:

  1. no... christmas doesn't start till the 1st December... don't make me over-plan! it's unforgivable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean you haven't started your Christmas shopping yet? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, this looks adorable and wonderful. It makes me feel like Christmas is just a day away. Cant wait to spend it with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Home made mincemeat is the best, and the cake looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree - I can't eat shop bought mincemeat now! And, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved my grandma's mincemeat pies as a kid. Haven't had any since. Is mincemeat hard to make? That Christmas cake looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's a lot of ingredients so it is a bit time comsuming in terms of measuring, chopping etc. Check out the recipe I linked to in the blog post. It smells amazing while you're making it and my favourite part is putting my hands into the gooey, sticky mincemeat to mix it up! Definitely worthwhile making your own for the taste - and it keeps for a good six months, so you can make it well in advance of Christmas!

    ReplyDelete