Sunday, 19 December 2010

Meatloaf Part Deux

It's been a while since I've posted - apologies if you've missed me at all. It's been a combination of having a lot going on and having lost my blogging-fu. Anyway, I'm determined to get back on the wagon, as it were.

Last week it was my fiancé's 30th birthday. I made him a couple of special birthday dinners to celebrate this event (I also made him a birthday banana bread, which was a disaster!), the first of which was toad in the hole, the second was another attempt at meatloaf.

I decided to use a different recipe this time, which is from Nigella Lawson's Kitchen: Recipes from the Heart of the Home. I thought this would be an extra-special treat for my fiancé because it has boiled egg in the middle and is covered in bacon! I used oak-smoked streaky bacon and it really helped to keep the meatloaf moist and gave it a lovely smokey flavour.

Before:


After:



Sadly, I neglected to get a picture of it sliced, showing the egg in the middle. It reminded me of when we used to have slices of pork pie with egg in the middle as kids.

3 comments:

  1. Hurray, you're back! I've missed your blog posts.

    The meatloaf looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks! I'm starting to think the meatloaf looks a bit like a meatloaf armadillo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a totally sinful meatloaf. I love it.

    ReplyDelete