Saturday, 1 January 2011

Left-over mincemeat tart (with dinosaur motif)

Happy New Year, everyone!

Last night we had our usual New Year celebration - my sister-in-law (to be) and her husband visited for a quiet evening of DVDs and games. I laid on a small buffet, and my centrepiece was a mincemeat tart using leftover mincemeat, my new silicone bakeware and dinosaur cookie cutters.

Unfortunately, we were so full from all the other food available, that we failed to have any room for tart! But I'm sure it will get eaten today!

Anyway, on to the recipe...

Dinosaur-themed Mincemeat Tart

Makes a 9" tart (wahey!)

Ingredients
200g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
450g plain flour
50g icing sugar
2 large egg yolks
3 tablespoons cold water
about 500g mincemeat (or however much will fill your tart...)
beaten egg to glaze (optional - I forgot)

Method
Sieve the flour into a bowl, add the butter and rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.

Stir in the icing sugar. Then make a well in the centre of the mixture and stir in the egg yolk and the water to make a soft dough.

Knead the dough lightly until smooth, wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for about half an hour.

Pre-heat the oven to 200C.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out most of the dough (about 2/3) until it's (very) roughly half a centimetre thick. Carefully line your pie/flan/tart dish with the dough.

(I used a silicone pie dish, which was a mistake in the end because the tart is delicate and you want something you can cut the tart in, like a heatproof china flan dish (something like this, perhaps). My fiancé just managed to transfer the tart to a plate without the whole thing crumbling, but it was touch and go. I am pleased to report that both the tart and our relationship is still in tact.)

Fill the tart with mincemeat (here is the recipe I use for my mincemeat) and then cut the excess pastry off with a small sharp knife.

Roll out the remaining pastry and then use the cookie cutters (you can use any shapes you fancy) to cut out as many figures as will fit nicely on top of the tart, and arrange them nicely on the top of said tart.

If you remember to, brush the pastry topping with beaten egg. Then bake in the oven for 25 minutes.

NB: Pastry recipe is largely based on a mince-pie recipe from Christmas Cakes and Cookies.

7 comments:

  1. That's so brilliant with the dinos. I love it!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bit concerned about Tarts and relationships
    Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mum said tart looks nice wish could try some.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Suzler, Happy New Year to you too!

    @Dave, I was worried that if Ian broke the tart I'd never be able to forgive him. Fortunately all is ok. The pastry for this one isn't quite as nice as the pastry I make for my normal mince pies, but I needed a pastry I could roll out for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cute. Also, mincemeat is yummy! It's kind of an oddity here in the USA, but I remember having a slice of mincemeat pie back when I was a child. I thought it was delish, but now that I think of it, I think it was a pre-made frozen one anyway. Would love to try making a "real" one some day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want a dinosaur mincemeat tart! I want a dinosaur mincemeat tart! I want a dinosaur mincemeat tart! I want a dinosaur mincemeat tart! I want a dinosaur mincemeat tart! Dinosaurs!

    Ahem, sorry. I do get giddy when it comes to dinosaurs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Random reader here. Your tart looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete