Saturday, 30 July 2011

Recipe: Summer Chicken and Chickpea Stew

I made this dish a couple of weeks ago, but have only just got round to blogging about it. I suddenly had inspiration to concoct something of my own design after a long, dry spell. Have I mentioned how much I love one-pot cooking? This is possibly related to the fact that we don't own a dishwasher.

My fiancé and I both thought it was very tasty, so here is the recipe should you want to recreate it in your own home.



Serves 4

Ingredients 

Olive oil
1 large onion (I used red onion because it was all I had, but I'm sure white would work just as well), chopped
2 large cloves garlic, crushed
1 red pepper, chopped
1 medium aubergine
2 free range chicken breasts, diced
300ml chicken stock
1 400g can tinned tomatoes
2 table spoons tomato puree
1 teaspoon dried thyme (fresh herbs could be used, but I didn't have any...)
a pinch of dried chilli flakes
salt and pepper
1 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed

Method 

1) Heat a little oil in a large pan. Fry onions over a medium heat for a few minutes until starting to soften.

2) Add garlic and pepper and fry for a couple of minutes.

3) Add chicken and cook over a medium-high heat until starting to brown.

4) While the chicken is cooking chop the aubergine (it is important not to chop beforehand as aubergine oxidises very quickly - if you prefer to prepare your aubergine by 'salting' or 'relaxing' it, you will need to prepare it beforehand. Me, I can't be arsed.) and then add to the pan.

5) Cook until chicken and aubergine are cooked all the way through.

6) Add chicken stock, tinned tomato, tomato puree, dried thyme and chilli flakes. Season to taste. Bring to the boil and then turn down the heat and simmer, partially covered by a lid, for about 20 minutes.

7) Add chickpeas. You can also add some more water if it's starting to look a little dry. Simmer for another 10 minutes.

8) Serve with some nice bread.

Bon appetit!

3 comments:

  1. This looks amazing. I'll try it this week - I'm broke so I might even make it stretch to a whole week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm flattered. Slightly daunted in case you think it's horrible though! One-pot dishes are really easy to make lots of. I divide the leftovers into portion-sized pots for lunches etc. I think left-over cooked meat needs eating within a few days, but you could always freeze leftovers as well.

    ReplyDelete