Sunday, 18 September 2011

Chicken and chorizo jambalaya and cajun seasoning

I had the sudden urge to cook something different tonight, but it was too late to amend my online grocery order which was due to arrive this afternoon, so I had to work with what I had already ordered. After a quick search on BBC Good Food, I decided to make this Chicken & Chorizo Jambalaya. The only things I didn't have were the chorizo and the Cajun seasoning. I sent my boyfriend out to get the chorizo (he ended up getting one from Asda from their Extra-Special range, and I can recommend it - it was delicious!).

Although I didn't have ready-made Cajun seasoning, I do have a lot of spices in my store cupboard, so I googled it and found this recipe. I pretty much followed the recipe, except I didn't have any onion powder/granules, so simply left that out, and I used less salt.


It worked well in the jambalaya recipe, giving it a warm heat without being too spicy. Perfect for a chilly Autumnal evening!


(NB: I used more chorizo sausage than the recipe said because chorizo sausage rarely comes in packs of 75g and I wasn't going to waste it. And, I love chorizo. Nom nom nom. I also used about 500ml chicken stock.)

All in all, a fairly simple, hearty, warming dish. And one that could be easily doubled or tripled if you are entertaining friends. I will definitely make this again!

3 comments:

  1. Do you have andouille available? If you can find it, that's really the most "authentic" sausage to use for Cajun cuisine, since it's French, and Cajuns were French immigrants to America.

    But any spicy smoked sausage will do. I can usually get andouille more easily than Spanish chorizo, so I use that (Mexican chorizo is everywhere in Texas, but that's a completely different sausage, which confuses people when they don't know any better and try to make paella with it.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of andouille before - I can't say I've ever seen it in the shops here! Spanish chorizo is pretty easy to find here - most major supermarkets stock it.

    I also never knoew that about Mexican chorizo being a different thing than Spanish chorizo - again, I don't think Mexican chorizo is readily available here.

    ReplyDelete