Saturday, 14 January 2012

A New Adventure

I've been on an allotment waiting list for a little over a year and recently I got The Call. I was expecting to be on the list for a lot longer, to be honest, so I was surprised, but also excited.

The deal was done today, and I now have my very own patch of land.



It's actually been left in a pretty good state as you can see, but needs a good tidy up. Our plot is up to the 'path' which you can see at the edge of both pictures. It's a pretty big patch of land with the potential to grow a fair few veggies.

I'm excited, although a bit daunted given that I have only grown in pots before. We all have to start somewhere, though!

10 comments:

  1. Wow, that's huge! The plots at the allotment near me are half that.

    Congratulations! How exciting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, it is a bit scary how big it is! And it's actually only half any entire plot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! So exciting. What are you planning?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fennel, chard, spinach, kale, mini pumpkins, sunflowers, poppies, marigolds, as well as the more traditional radishes, carrots, tomatoes and potatoes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious. I would be sketching and drawing on squared paper!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! Yep, I haven't done that yet, but plan to. I'm still doing some reading at the moment, finding out where the best spot would be for everything to grow and when.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You lucky thing. I'm told that I could get a local allotment in around 2133 - if I'm lucky. I love picking fresh veg from the garden, though. Nice list of veg - don't forget celeriac, though, and freshly harvested young turnips are a bit of a revelation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought I was in for a four year wait. I can only guess that maybe people ahead of me on the list weren't interested any more.

    I live in a flat and don't even have a garden, so am very excited about having some land. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweetcorn grows well too.

    ReplyDelete