Sunday, 5 February 2012

Pot Roast Guinea Fowl with Sausage and Apple

I prefer the taste of guinea fowl to chicken. And they were on offer in Sainsbury's, so naturally I bought one. And then I remembered about a great Nigel Slater recipe for pot roast guinea fowl from Tender Vol. II. This cookbook, along with Vol. I, is still my favourite cookbook ever. There's something about it which is so down to earth and unpretentious - it is simply good, uncomplicated food.

Guinea fowl is good eating. But what would make a guinea fowl even better? Sausage and apple, my friends. And brandy. Behold the fowl:


Imagine, if you will, the slight gameyness of guinea fowl, with salty, meaty sausage, sweet apple, soft, melting potatoes, a hint of bay leaf and brandy, all caramelised and gooey in a pot.
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.

3 comments:

  1. That looks so good - I haven't cooked guinea fowl for far too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The left over guinea fowl went really well in this dish too: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1848/barneys-monday-night-rice

      Delete