Saturday, 23 June 2012

Restaurant Review: Malmaison, Birmingham

Last weekend I attended a Midlands Bloggers meet-up. The meet-up took place at the Malmaison Brasserie in Birmingham organised by Cat of Yellow Days. She managed to get us a deal where we paid £18.50 each for three courses and half a bottle of wine.

It was great to meet up with other bloggers, including meeting Jo of Jo's Kitchen and Jo's Nursery again, and meeting parent bloggers Cat, Rebecca of Here Come the Girls and Roz of Life, Love and Lollipops for the first time. I think we all had a great night with good food, lovely wine and great company!

The service at Malmaison was very good right from the start. They made no complaint about us having fewer persons than expected and swiftly rearranged our table for five people.

The menu was fairly small but had a good range of dishes. 

For starter, I opted for the spring roll.

Sorry for the blurry photo - my little camera couldn't cope with the low light conditions...
Anyway, this was delicious - possibly the best spring roll I had ever had. And just the right size for a starter.

For my main, I had Beef Bourginon. I love a good beef bourguinon. And if they could get that right, then that's the sign of a really good restaurant.

Just look at those delicious little mini shallots! This dish did not disappoint. The mash potato was creamy and perfectly smoothy and the beef bourguinon itself was deliciously meaty and salty.

My main wasn't huge, so I was feeling totally up for pudding at this point. I opted for the vanilla panna cotta.

It had an impressive wobble on it. The fruit went really well with the creamy vanilla panna cotta. And for such a small, innocent-looking dessert, it just about finished me off. I felt like I couldn't MOVE after I'd eaten it.

So, would I eat at Malmaison again? Yes. I couldn't fault any of it really. We had great, attentive service and great food, and I'd definitely like to try some more of the food on their menu. I also wouldn't mind giving the hotel a go (my husband thinks there'd be no point given we live so close to Birmingham, but I just like hotels, ok?). A return visit may be imminent!

4 comments:

  1. Oooh looks so delicious. Am very jealous! Beef Bourgignon is my favourite. I was lucky enough to stay there once for my birthday and food was amazing then too. If you have another meet up there let me know, would love to go there again and would be well worth the journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll hear about it if we have another meet up! I would love to eat there again! :)

      Delete
  2. We should have got a video of that wobble ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yeah, I was very impressed. It reminded me of my wobbly bits. ;)

      Delete