Saturday, 21 July 2012

Left-overs: Italian-style Chicken Stew

Given that my goal this year was to try to waste less food and to do more creative things with left-overs, I thought it was high time I blogged about using left-overs again! My go-to left-over beef recipe is this recipe for Left-over Roast Beef Italian Stew.

This week I had some cooked chicken breasts in the fridge and some peppers and things that needed using up. It occurred to me that I could adapt the above recipe to be suitable for chicken. So, here's my adapted recipe for Italian Chicken Stew:


Serves 2

Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 pepper, chopped (I used a red pepper in my recipe as that's what I had...)
150g mushrooms, chopped
 2 cooked chicken breasts, or left-over roast chicken
800ml Chicken stock
400g can chopped tomatoes
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp chopped, fresh basil
Salt and pepper

Method
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Cook the onion for 5 minutes or so, until softened. Add the garlic, pepper and mushroom, and cook until mushrooms are cooked and starting to brown.

2. Add chicken and oregano and stir in. Then add chicken stock and chopped tomatoes. Bring to the boil and then simmer gently for 45 minutes, half covered with a lid (or uncovered depending on how thick you want the sauce).

3. Stir in the fresh basil towards the end of cooking, and season with salt and pepper to taste.


***

I have to say, I think I prefer Kalyn's beef version, but it was pretty tasty with chicken too, and a good use of left-overs and veg which was soon to be past its best!

3 comments:

  1. Mm, looks delicious! Great cosy food for a rainy summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, good for the weather we've been having recently! But I also think having it with peppers and mushrooms rather than the traditional root vegetables of an English stew, make it seem a little lighter somehow...

      Delete
  2. This is the best way to use leftovers, a good casserole. It looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete