Wednesday, 25 July 2012

The end of an adventure

I haven't written about this yet, even though the decision was made over a month ago now.

After we came back from Honeymoon, it became very evident that I was going to have to give up the allotment. Illness, being busy with the wedding, the wedding itself and then the honeymoon meant we had not been able to spend very much time at all tending to the allotment. Add to all of that the wettest late spring and early summer for a very long time, and you've got a recipe for, well, GROWTH, but not necessarily in the way you wanted.

It got so badly overgrown that it would have been like starting again. And realistically I did not have the time to get a plot that size going again. Not to mention that the knotweed situation was causing me considerable stress, when the whole idea of the allotment was that it was meant to be relaxing!

So, there you have it. I was very sad that I had to make that decision, but unfortunately it transpired that this was the wrong year for me to try and set out on an allotment adventure.

The plan for our next adventure is to buy a house (when we manage to get out flat into a sale-able state...), and I plan to get a house with a nice garden, which will be a more manageable size than the allotment plot, and literally on my doorstep. And (I very much hope!) knotweed free!

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that it didn't work out but I'm sure it's the right decision. I hope you manage to find a house with a lovely garden and definitely knotweed free. Knotweed can give you sleepless nights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think when we do get round to house-hunting, we will do so in the spring so I can keep a good eye out for knotweed in the garden...

      Delete
  2. Ah, your very own garden will be more satisfying, I am sure. A tough decision, but now you have a new adventure to look forward to, in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it will. And it's always good to have things to look forward to. :)

      Delete