Friday, 24 August 2012

Healthy Recipe Round-Up

I've recently started to make a concerted effort to eat more healthily, and cut down on the amount of fat and calories in both mine and my husband's diet. While a bit of weight loss would be a welcome side-effect, this is not necessarily my chief aim. I've been quite inspired by watching The Hairy Dieters, and realised that by making a few changes, I could make our diet a lot healthier.

I've been trying various recipes over the last few weeks, mostly from the BBC Good Food Website, and thought I'd share what has worked well so far.

***

This was delicious! Really good flavours. As you can see from the picture, I served mine with rice, and doing so meant there was enough left over for lunch the next day. I will definitely be making this again. One portion on its own is only 350 calories, and I wasn't hungry later (this is always a good test of whether a dish works for me - if I'm going to end up eating more later, I might as well have something less healthy for dinner!).


2. Chicken chilli bowl
A perfectly nice dish. I used chicken breast instead of thigh fillets and red kidney beans instead of pinto beans, and left out the green beans because I didn't have any. I served it with a pitta bread each, which went very nicely with it. Nice and filling and only 435 calories - not bad. I might make it again if I happen to have the ingredients in.




3. Lemon & rosemary pork with chickpea salad
I'm kicking myself for not remembering to take a picture of this because it looked fabulous! The flavours were wonderful too - it's a really lovely marinade. Marinading is not something I do often, so it was nice to do something a bit different. I halved the recipe, except the ingredients for the marinade and that worked out fine for two people. Actually, we still had chickpeas leftover at the end. I offered my husband more chickpeas once he'd finished, but he said he was all chickpea-ed out. This was really delicious and I would definitely cook again, but I did end up eating some toast later in the evening. 396 calories per serving, apparently.

4. Three bean tomato and spinach stew
This was ok. I used a tin of mixed beans and I used runner beans. I served it with some rice. One portion is supposedly 153 calories, but I suspect we had more as I only got 3 servings out of it, but even so it is still low in calories. Might make this again if the mood takes me and I have the right ingredients in.

5. Winter vegetable pie
Although this is called Winter Vegetable Pie, I think you could have it all year round. Plus I substituted the cauliflower with broccoli, which I think is less wintery. I have nothing against cauliflower - in fact, I like it quite a lot - but my husband doesn't, so I had to use broccoli. I think it would have been nice with cauliflower though. This was quite tasty, and quite filling (although, again, we probably had slightly more than one portion each - to be fair, I did not have enough potato, so only used about 500g potatoes, so I think we had less potato but more veg each). I used vegetable stock instead of water, which I think probably helped the flavour a lot. 388 calories per portion. I would like to make this again, perhaps using some different veg to see how it works.

***

One of the advantages to my new healthy eating regime is that I am trying lots of new recipes and it's giving me lots of new and creative ideas for cooking dishes. I actually feel a lot more enthusiastic about cooking than I have done for a while and have been cooking a lot more recently.






No comments:

Post a Comment