Saturday, 10 August 2013

Garden update: an abundance of vegetables

Apologies that  it's been quite a long time since I posted here. I've been pretty busy with the studying, and also setting up a new history blog (because one blog is just never enough, right?).

I just wanted to check in though, and update you on my vegetable progress. We are starting to get a good stream of veg being ready now, and I've now got to the point this week where I actually didn't really need to buy any veg from the shops - there's enough from the garden to feed my husband and me for the week. Our plot is very small really, and there's no way we'll ever be self-sufficient from it, but it is a nice feeling that it is now starting to make a significant contribution towards our meals.

Freshly picked carrots
My first (rather fat) courgette
At the moment I've got carrots, courgettes, fennel and beetroot ready for picking and eating. I have some tomato plants in pots and hanging baskets, which have yet to fruit, and I have some leeks in one of my raised beds which will hopefully be lovely and big by the Autumn. My lovely Master Gardener, Vicki, has just given me a butternut squash plant, which I plan to plant today. I never got round to planting any potatoes earlier in the year, so I have bought a variety which I will plant this month (in a growbag) ready for Winter. I also have plans to plant some broad beans and peas (dwarf varieties) in November ready for next Spring. And I will probably grow a green manure in the other raised bed over Winter to rejuvenate the soil. My plan is to continually have things growing because bare space is just boring!

4 comments:

  1. Hey, nice to see you again. :) Your garden is enviable. Garden fresh vegetables are sadly often a luxury for me, so I hope you get plenty more. I also have more than one blog - one is not enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see you too! And, thank you. Having lived in a flat for a long time, I do really appreciate my garden.

      Yeah, once you get the blogging bug, you just want to blog about all your interests! I've followed one of your other blogs as I love reading about your experiences in Hong Kong! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm very jealous of your fennel - I didn't get around to planting any. I've tried growing dwarf peas in the past and they did very well but I've never managed to get a good crop from dwarf broad beans, so I'll be interested to know how it goes for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know! Master Gardener Vicki has apparently grown the dwarf broad beans and had good success. I guess it's one of those things where some years things just don't work out so well and others they are fine. I had great success growing basil when I had my balcony garden; this year, I couldn't even get them to germinate!

      Delete