Friday, 23 August 2013

Recipe: Peppers Stuffed with Israeli Cous Cous

Although I am not growing any peppers this year, last week I ended up with quite a few because I'd bought a pack of four and then my in-laws gave me some more from their garden. I am, however, also getting quite a lot of courgettes now from my garden, so have been trying to think of new and different ways to use all my veg.

I think I was probably inspired to make this dish after watching an episode of Celebrity Masterchef recently, where someone made stuffed peppers in the mass-catering round. I decided to try and make my own tastier version, as apparently their stuffed peppers had been quite bland! 

I used Israeli cous cous in this recipe, but regular cous cous would also work. Also, I didn't have any lemons to add lemon juice when I made it, but I definitely think the addition of lemon juice would be a glorious thing, so I have included it in the recipe.

***

Serves 2

Ingredients
2 bell peppers, tops cut off and deseeded
2 tsp olive oil or rapeseed oil
1 onion, diced
2 or 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 courgette, diced
100g Israeli cous cous
125 - 150ml vegetable or chicken stock
juice of half a lemon (optional)
handful of fresh herbs (whatever you have available - I used thyme)
salt and pepper to season

Method
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200C. Put the peppers in a roasting tin and drizzle with half the oil. Cook in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, until the skin is starting to brown.

2. Meanwhile, heat the rest of the oil in a saucepan. Add the onions, and cook gently for about five minutes. Add the courgettes and garlic and continue to cook for another 5-10 minutes, until everything is soft. 

3. Add the cous cous and stock and simmer for about 8 minutes, uncovered. You can add water if it starts to get too dry. Add the lemon juice and herbs, stir and cook for a couple more minutes, until almost all of the liquid has been absorbed/evaporated. Season with salt and pepper.

4. By this time, the peppers should be ready. Take them out of the oven and carefully move them onto a plate. Spoon the cous cous mixture into the peppers. 

5. Eat

***

As you can see from the photo above, I served mine with some homemade potato wedges. Yummy!

(Incidentally, did you know that potatoes are rich in vitamin C? Those 5-a-day people just don't want you eating chips all the time! I think we should all love the humble potato a little more!)

Next on the blog, I will be writing about some more ideas for cooking with courgettes. (Yes, we've been eating A LOT of them lately...).


2 comments:

  1. Love the Israeli couscous. It's so tasty! The stuffed peppers look brilliant. I do love peppers this way x

    ReplyDelete