Sunday, 20 October 2013

Garden Update: Autumn is here

It's been a while since I did one of my garden updates... I feel like Autumn has almost passed me by so far - the soggy grey days seem to be whizzing past at a phenomenal rate, but I'm going to try and take a step back and enjoy all that this time of year has to offer. 

Our abundance of veg is pretty much over now. I still have some leeks growing, and I have a butternut squash and potato plant, but nothing like the Great Courgette Harvest of the Summer.

Leeks and butternut squash, slightly battered by last night's rain

My one butternut squash which is currently growing... fittingly resting on a page from the Organic Gardening Catalogue!
My other raised bed which had previously been home to the monster courgette plants, has now been planted with a green manure. I couldn't decide which green manure to grow, so I chose a mix of four different ones: crimson clover, mustard, red clover, and Italian ryegrass. It's doing pretty well.

Green manure
A ladybird defending my green manure from pesky aphids
The plan is that I will cut the green manure before it flowers and then dig it into the soil - most likely in early spring.

Next month I will be planting my broad beans and peas, so I'll let you know how that goes. For now, I will continue to enjoy the rest of my Autumn produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment