Tuesday, 12 November 2013

Nigel Slater Dish of the Month: A soup of bacon and celeriac

It's quite surprising that I've never taken part in Farmersgirl Kitchen and A little bit of heaven on a plate's Dish of the Month before considering how much I enjoy cooking Nigel Slater recipes. Just another one of those things I've never got round to yet, but suddenly felt inspired to join (Can you tell I have a dissertation deadline coming up?!). 

This week, I got a celeriac (such an underrated vegetable!) in my veg box and decided I wanted to make a soup with it. I've made this recipe before, and enjoyed it - it's a good one if you like the fragrant smell and taste of celeriac.

I knew the veg-phobic husband would not be so keen on that particular recipe though, so I was searching around my cookbooks, when I found a recipe for 'A soup of bacon and celeriac' in The Kitchen Diaries II (p. 7); and I thought the addition of bacon and wholegrain mustard would help make the soup more palateable for my husband, as well as making a tasty meal for me!

Brown soup, brown worktop...
As you can see from the picture, the result was a slightly brown concoction - not the most appetising looking of soups, but it was very flavourful (I loved the addition of bacon and mustard!), as well as being thick and creamy. 


I pretty much stuck to the recipe, adjusting the quantities a little as my celeriac was quite a small one (plus, I am rubbish at chopping the skin off and usually end up cutting off half the celeriac as well...). I only have a stick blender, and knowing my husband's preference for thick soups, I just blended the whole thing rather than blending just half in a blender as the recipe suggested. If I make it again (which I might well do) I might add a peeled and chopped potato or two in with the celeriac as well to bulk it out and make it go further.

A hearty and warming soup for a chilly day. Thanks, Nigel. :)


http://notjustanyoldbaking.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/dish-of-month-november-nigel-slaters.html

6 comments:

  1. You can't beat a soup that matches a worktop...no..never...at all...
    I really like your interpretation of this as I love homemade soup and its sounds good...we hope you join us in December its the last month...thanks for this too. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! I know I'm a little late to the party, but yes will definitely try and join you for the December one. Thanks for running the blog challenge. x

      Delete
  2. I'm just writing about celeriac myself! I also think it is underrated, I keep forgetting about it! Thanks so much for joining us for Dish of the Month, so glad that dissertation deadline drove you into Nigel's arms...err...book and sent you our way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice! You don't often see celeriac in the shops, do you? I've only ever had them from veg boxes. I once did celeriac chips with them - they were pretty nice, although mine turned out a bit squidgy (I did them in the oven). I'm looking forward to your post on celeriac! :) Thank you for hosting the blog challenge.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE this soup... celeriac is such a missbegotten vegetable but in a soup it is joyous... yes, it may be an odd colour but oh the taste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colour didn't overly bother me, I was just aware that it wasn't a very photogenic dish! But yes it was very tasty indeed. I'm looking forward to having leftovers for lunch.

      Delete