Wednesday, 8 January 2014

A couple of uses for celeriac

I love celeriac. I love its beautiful, creamy, fragrant flesh. I think it's a very under-rated vegetable. Perhaps, like Kale, it might start to undergo a small revival at some point soon. I think more and more people are starting to discover the range of British-grown vegetables that are actually available, even over the winter months. I hope so, anyway.

How can you not love a vegetable that looks like a brain?

Whenever I get a celeriac in my veg box, I tend to make a soup. This Nigel Slater recipe that I wrote about a while ago is a fabulous recipe, and this one from the BBC is great too if you want more of the flavour of the celeriac to come through.

But I didn't fancy celeriac soup this week, and I wanted to try and do something different with the celeriac I got in my veg box this time. I actually ended up using my celeriac in a couple of different dishes. Firstly, I used it in this braised venison dish. The recipe itself doesn't call for celeriac, but I had a feeling that celeriac would go well with the strong flavours of venison. I was right. I used it in place of the turnips/swede and I also used leeks instead of celery. It was a very tasty meal and I made enough for 4 people, so it lasted us two evenings. 

That was half my celeriac gone, so with the over half, I decided to add it to this Tipsy Sausage Tray Bake dish from Abel & Cole, along with carrots and onions. Yummy!

Tipsy Sausage Tray Bake

Does anyone have any other ideas for uses for celeriac? How can we make the most of this fabulous vegetable?



4 comments:

  1. I've never actually tried celeriac, but that dish looks just the ticket and I'd like to try it soon :)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend it - let me know how you get on! :)

      Delete
  2. Very under-rated as you say. It's one of my favourites. It's always good with sausages, so I love the idea of that tray bake. My favourite ways of eating celeriac are probably remoulade in the summer and mash in the winter. I mash it with some potatoes and/or carrots and add some Dijon mustard. Makes a great topping for cottage/shepherd's pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone else mentioned the mash idea to me - I'll have to give it a go.

      Delete