I though it would also fit nicely with my easy after-work dinners series.
Lentil, Potato & Spinach Curry
Prep. time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
1 tsp vegetable or rapeseed oil
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, diced (optional)
1 stick celery, thinly sliced
200g potatoes, peeled and chopped into small cubes
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
½ tsp mild chilli powder
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp garam masala
50g red lentils
500ml vegetable stock
Handful of spinach or kale, chopped
1. Heat the oil in a large pan, then add the onion, carrot and celery. Cook gently in the oil for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables have begun to soften. Add the potato, and continue to cook for 5 more minutes, or until the potato begins to soften.
2. Add the garlic and spices and, stir well and cook for a few more minutes, continuing to stir.
3. Add the lentils and stir well. Then pour in the stock.
4. Bring to a simmer and cover. Simmer for 20 – 25 minutes until the lentils and potatoes are cooked through and the liquid has reduced. Keep stirring occasionally to make sure the lentils don’t catch on the bottom of the pan. Add water if it begins to dry out.
5. Uncover, and add the spinach or kale. Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the leaves have wilted.
Serve with rice and/or flatbreads.