Friday, 31 January 2014

No Love Sincerer's Microwave Blog Challenge!

A few weeks ago a friend of mine, Tom, got in touch to ask for my help. He currently has a microwave and only a microwave in his kitchen, but he wants to eat more healthily and wondered if I'd be able to come up with some simple, but healthy recipes for him that he could cook in his microwave, bearing in mind that he is not a very experienced cook.

Now, I have to admit that the microwave is one piece of kitchen gadgetry that I don't actually use very often. I only ever use it for the occasional bit of defrosting and to reheat things (and even then I sometimes manage to cause my baked beans to melt into oblivion). The microwave I have is small and old with no digital display, and a sharp mechanical ping to indicate that food is ready (you can see it in the challenge 'badge' below!). I have never felt the need to replace it because it still works and I use it so infrequently.

I did not want to turn down Tom's challenge, but at the same time know that I am not the world's best cook and felt a bit daunted by my lack of microwave know-how. And then I thought of all my lovely food blogger friends who I thought might enjoy this challenge, and also thought that this sort of thing might be of benefit to others as well. I will be joining in too, but I thought it might be a nice idea to get a range of different cooks to see what they could come up with.

Anyway, enough with the pre-amble and on with the rules!


1) The recipes need to be simple, economical, and healthy, and use only a microwave.

2) You can choose to create your own recipe or cook/adapt a recipe which already exists. 

3) If cooking an already existing recipe, please link to it online or provide a link to the book you got it from. Please don't copy existing recipes onto your blog unless you have made changes - I wouldn't want anyone to get into trouble for copyright infringement!

4) Post the recipe (if creating/adapting) or your experience of cooking the recipe along with a link (if using an existing recipe) to your blog and email the link to me at covfoodie(at)gmail(dot)com by 28th February. (If you don't have a blog and want to join in, please feel free to email your post to me and I could post it up on my blog for you.) If you are on Twitter please tweet about your blog post using the hashtag #microwavechallenge and I will re-tweet you!

5) Please feel free to use the badge above on your post. Or not, it's cool. Although a link back to this post somewhere would be groovy.

6) Once we have reached the deadline (that's 28th February), I will post a round up of all the blogs received. Tom will have a go at cooking some of the recipes and will post about them on his blog (I will link to them).
I think that's everything. If you think I have omitted anything, or have any questions, please feel free to ask in the comments.

Below are some links in case you are in need of any inspiration (there are plenty more websites out there, but these are just to get you started...):

3 comments:

  1. I've got an idea! I just need to do the relevant shopping and planning. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hurrah! I can't wait to see what you come up with! :)

      Delete