Friday, 24 January 2014

Random Recipes #36: Traditional Tuscan Bean & Cabbage Soup

http://www.belleaukitchen.com/2014/01/random-recipes-36-new-year-new-book.html
Hello all! It's random recipes time again, and this month's challenge was to randomly pick a cookbook we got for Christmas and then randomly choose a recipe from said book. My job was made slightly easier this time by the fact that I only got one cookbook for Christmas this year, which was a Marks & Spencer book called The Vegetable Bible. I randomly opened the book on page 126, which gave me a recipe for Traditional Tuscan Bean & Cabbage Soup.

This is a soup made from carrots, celery, cannellini beans, and cavolo nero - a nice winter-warmer type of soup.

I changed a few things in the recipe to suit my own tastes and partly according to what I had in the fridge/cupboards.



As I had some bacon in the fridge, and because bacon makes everything better, I decided to add some chopped bacon at the beginning and used its fat to fry the rest of the vegetables. I used tinned cannellini beans rather than dried, because I don't have a problem with using tinned beans and they take a lot less preparation... I also didn't blend half the beans as the recipe suggests - I just chucked them all in the pot. And instead of stirring in some 2-day old ciabatta loaf, I heated some ciabatta in the oven, sliced it and served it on the side. It made a lovely accompaniment. 

Overall, this was a very tasty soup (enhanced by bacon), that made a filling meal along with the ciabatta. I have made similar soups before, and find they are a good way to pack a lot of veg into one meal!

I wonder what next month's random recipes challenge will bring...

4 comments:

  1. love the way you took a veggie book and slapped in some bacon... a girl after my own heart... it does indeed look like a tasty soup and very welcoming this gloomy Friday... thank so much for the lovely random recipes entry x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I do love my veggies, but sometimes a bit of bacon is just what you need!

      Delete
  2. Bacon is good stuff, adds so much lovely flavour to 'veggie' recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is true! The thing is you're still getting plenty of veg and the amount of meat in each serving is actually minimal. It's a great way for carnivores to increase veg intake, while decreasing meat intake!

      Delete