Saturday, 26 July 2014

Garden Update: Summer Sowing

Apologies that I haven't been writing much on this blog lately - things were a bit crazy with finishing my Masters degree and then starting a new full-time job (well, technically, it's a traineeship). I also had not done that much with the garden for a while, partly because of the above, and partly because much of what I did sow, got absolutely demolished by slugs. This disheartened me a bit and I lost my gardening mojo for a while.

Having said all that, we did get a very good crop of broad beans, and a fair few peas as well, although on the whole I felt that the broad beans gave a bigger pay-off. We never really got enough peas to make a decent-sized amount for dinner. Both vegetables were delicious, and I really enjoyed growing and eating them.

Broad beans have very pretty flowers

Peeeeas!

 One of my pea and broad bean harvests
I was able to make some lovely dishes with my harvests including some yummy bowls of Kusksu (Maltese Spring Soup):
Kusksu (Maltese Soup)
My broad beans and peas had been quite early as I had grown them both over Winter, so they'd come to the end of their life recently.

I have got some other things which are still growing as well, though. 
Tomatoes


French marigolds

Parnsips

Nasturtiums in the border

More nasturtiums trying to take over the path


Strawberry plant in a hanging basket.
I also set about sowing some more seeds in my raised beds today, which I am hoping will provide me with some tasty vegetables in the Autumn and maybe even into Winter. Seeds sown today were: carrots, coriander, spring onions, rocket, parsley, fennel, swiss chard and kale. Here's hoping the slugs don't eat them all this time!

1 comment: