Saturday, 2 January 2016

Friday 1st January: Golden Veggie Shepherd's Pie

Yesterday I tried to start as we mean to go on. I'm not one for New Year's resolutions but after the excesses of Christmas, it's always good to try and get back on track with eating slightly more healthily again!

We went for a slightly hungover walk in the gardens of a National Trust property and spotted our first snowdrops of the year (due to the mild weather I have heard reports of snowdrop sightings last month...).

Snowdrops
For dinner I made this Golden Veggie Shepherd's Pie from BBC Good Food. I was surprised by how tasty it was. I scaled it down quite massively to make about enough for 3 people. I used baby Chantenay carrots, which worked really well in this dish, and I used a packet of ready-cooked puy lentils, which made the cooking time a lot shorter. I left out the wine because otherwise it would mean opening a bottle and then drinking would happen. I felt it could have done with the flavour boost that the wine would have provided. But I also noticed in the comments section, after I cooked it, that other people had added Worcestershire sauce, which I think seems like a fabulous idea (although obviously makes it non-vegetarian) and I will have to try it next time. The BBC Good Food website is one of the few websites where it really is worth reading the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment