Tuesday, 5 January 2016

Monday 4th January: Sweet & sour tofu stir fry

Back to work yesterday. Getting out of bed in the morning was hard.

A quick dinner following a tiring day at work and with the added bonus of being light and healthy following the excesses of Christmas. I make variations of this quite often, after I got fed up with packet stir fry sauces. I use different kinds of vegetables each time and sometimes serve it with rice or with noodles, depending on what's available. But this is (roughly) what I did last night.

Serves two.

Ingredients
200g chestnut mushrooms, chopped into quarters
200g pack of marinated tofu (I used Dragonfly), cut into cubes
1 onion, sliced
100g baby sweetcorn
100g sugarsnap peas
50g fine green beans
2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
1 tbsp honey
lemon juice (about half a lemon)
1 tbsp light soy sauce
Dark soy sauce to taste

Method
I like to cook the mushrooms in  stir fry for the longest, because I prefer mushrooms a bit soft. So I usually add them to the pan first, then after a couple of minutes add the tofu. After a few minutes more, add the rest of the vegetables and the garlic. Cook for about 1 minute more, then add the honey, lemon juice and soy sauce. Cook over a high heat for about 5 minutes more or until all the vegetables are cooked but still firm and crunchy, stirring constantly. Stir in cooked rice or noodles at the end.

(NB - I quite often also add a pinch of dried chilli flakes in with the veg, which adds a nice bit of warmth.)



No comments:

Post a Comment