Sunday, 17 January 2016

Saturday 16th January: Mincemeat cake and Roast chicken breasts with winter veg

Despite making an apple and mincemeat crumble the other week, I still have a fair bit of mincemeat to use up. Getting back into food blogging means reading other food blogs again more regularly as well, and fortunately for me, Phil from As Strong As Soup wrote about a mincemeat cake recipe from the blog C'est moi qui l'ai fait! I'm not great at baking, but I do dabble every now and again, and the simpler the recipe the better, so this looked right up my street. Yesterday I got my bake on, and this was the result.

Caaaaaake!

The cake tin I used was slightly too big, so I think the cake ended up flatter and I ended up baking it for a little too long. However, it still turned out pretty yummy. The boozy, spicy flavours of my homemade mincemeat turned into a nice fruitcake. Also, as Phil points out in his blog post, you can also buy very cheap jars of mincemeat at this time of year, making this a very economical cake. I noticed today that you can pick some up here from Ocado for 25p!*


*At the time of writing.

***

For dinner we had another dish that I cook variations of a lot: roasted chicken breasts, with roasted vegetables and cous cous. I used winter vegetables because that's what I had in the fridge, but in the summer I tend to do a more Mediterranean style dish.

Serves 2

Ingredients
1 onion, chopped into quarters
150g mushrooms, chopped into quarters
2 carrots, sliced into large chunks
2 leeks, sliced into large chunks
1 tsp rapeseed oil
1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
2 chicken breasts
100g wholewheat cous cous
chicken stock cube
120ml boiling water
juice of half a lemon
salt and pepper

Method
Pre-heat the oven to 200C. Arrange the vegetables in a roasting tin. Drizzle over the oil, sprinkle over the herbs and mix well. Add the chicken breasts to the middle of the tin and season with salt and pepper. Put in the oven and roast for 30-35 minutes until the chicken is cooked all the way through and the vegtables are tender.

Meanwhile, place the cous cous in a bowl/dish/pan (I usually use a Pyrex jug), crumble in the stock cube and add the boiling water (adjust quantities depending on packet instructions or how wet/dry you like your cous cous). Squeeze in the lemon juice and stir well. Leave for 5 minutes, give another good stir with a fork to loosen and then serve alongside the chicken and vegetables.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you tried the cake. It's one I make pretty much every year. Because mincemeats vary a lot, the baking time can vary too. I must admit that chicken with cous cous is a big favourite in my house and yours sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for posting the recipe for the cake! It proved a big hit with my husband's tabletop gaming group!

      The chicken with cous cous recipe is so simple, it almost doesn't feel like cooking. But it is a really quick and easy way of getting something tasty and healthy on the table.

      Delete