Tuesday, 12 January 2016

Sunday 10th January: Spanish Chicken Pot Roast

On Sunday afternoon, I started feeling like I was developing the start of a cold, which was decidedly unfair given that I had the flu about a month ago. I had bought quite a big chicken (not on purpose - one of the downsides to online shopping is not being able to choose the exact size of meat products) and fancied doing a pot roast but wanted to try something a little different with it. I found this recipe for a Spanish chicken pot roast, which I thought sounded good. Fortunately, the recipe was pretty light on physical work: chop up a few veggies, add some wine, vinegar and spices, and whack it all in the oven, and sit down and relax.

The only problem I had is that my casserole dish is not the largest and the chicken was quite big... so with the veggies in the bottom, I wasn't actually able to put the lid on the casserole. I was worried that this would mean some of the vegetables would burn, particularly as the chicken needed cooking for 2 hours 10 minutes. But in fact, apart from a few particularly singed edges, it was all fine, and there was even still some juice in the bottom. I loved the flavours of this pot roast and it really did add something a little extra to a roast chicken. I had never cooked with sherry vinegar before, but I loved the depth of flavour it added. I served it with some boiled new potatoes and kale on the side.

And, of course, there was lots of left over chicken...

No comments:

Post a Comment