Sunday, 31 January 2016

Sunday 17th January: Beef and puy lentil stew

I'm a bit behind with my blogging, but determined to catch up!

A couple of weeks ago the weather was still really cold, and thanks to a buy one get one free offer at Ocado, I had some stewing steak in the freezer, so I decided to make a beef stew. Here's roughly what I did.



Serves 3-4.

Ingredients
500g stewing steak, cut into cubes
1 onion, sliced
2 large carrots, thickly sliced
1 large leek, thickly sliced
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
1 tbsp tomato puree
600ml beef stock
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
100g puy lentils
Salt and pepper to season

Method
Heat a large pan/casserole to a medium-high heat, then brown the meat. Add the veg and cook for 5-10 minutes until starting to soften. Stir in the dried herbs and the tomato puree. Cook for a minute or so more. Add the beef stock and bring to the boil. Turn down to a simmer, add the Worcestershire sauce, cover and leave to cook for about 2 hours.

About 25 minutes before the end of cooking time, add the puy lentils. Remove the lid at this point if you want the sauce to thicken a bit. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with mashed potato.

NB. I didn't use any oil, as there was enough fat from the beef to cook everything in.


This was a pretty simple dish, but it did the job. It was much more flavourful after reheating for lunch the next day!

4 comments:

  1. Simple is just fine by me and this is comforting and warming on a cold day I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't often get the time to make over-complicated or fussy food. It's nice on the odd occasion when I do get time, but mostly I'm just trying to get something simple, tasty and nutritious on the table!

      Delete