Sunday, 7 February 2016

Thursday 4th February: Chicken, leeks, sweetcorn & tomatoes

February arrived with its usual gloom. I had a very tiring first week back at work after our week's holiday, so I didn't cook much, but managed to knock up this reasonable chicken dish on Thursday. It wasn't massively exciting to be honest (this blog is not just meant to be about the roaring successes!), but it helped me use up a few bits towards the end of the week.

Serves 2

Ingredients
1 tsp rapeseed oil
1 onion, finely diced
2 chicken breasts, cut into cubes/strips
2 medium-sized leeks, sliced fairly thinly
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 195g tin of sweetcorn, drained and rinsed

Method
Heat the oil, then add the onions and cook gently for a few minutes. Add the chicken and cook until brown all over. Add the leeks, garlic and herbs. Give a good stir, and cook for a few minutes more. Add the tomatoes and the Worcestershire sauce, then simmer for 15 minutes or until the leeks are nice and soft and the chicken is cooked through. Add the sweetcorn and cook for another 5 minutes.

Serve with rice.

2 comments:

  1. There's no point in pretending that people who write blogs don't have bits to use up. In fact, most of what I cook seems to be using up bits. I think this sounds like a fine way to use up February bits. I wish I could pretend that February was one of my favourite months but.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. March is so much lovelier than February! I am looking forward to March.

      Delete